Global Health Insurance Plans
Cigna Global Health Options helps you create a health insurance plan that’s perfectly tailored to the needs of you and your family. We offer you the reassurance of comprehensive core cover, and the flexibility of adding the extra benefits as you want. Our handy graphic below explains how our plan works.
Our International Health Plans Explained
Cigna Global Health Options helps you create a health insurance plan that’s perfectly tailored for the needs of you and your family by offering you the reassurance of comprehensive core cover, and the flexibility of additional modules to build a plan which fits your needs.
Our Core Cover
- International Medical Insurance – three levels of essential core cover, Silver, Gold and Platinum to choose from. Our core policies cover for inpatient, day case surgery and accommodation costs. In addition, essential cover for cancer and psychiatric care are provided for. Gold and Platinum policies also offer cover for routine maternity.
- Our plans comprise of 3 distinct levels of cover: Silver, Gold and Platinum. We’ve specifically designed these expat health insurance options to meet your needs, as well as to give you the flexibility you need. Choose your level of cover from the table below. All amounts apply per beneficiary and per period of cover (except where otherwise noted).
- International Medical Insurance is your essential cover for inpatient, day patient and accommodation costs, as well as cover for cancer, psychiatric care and much more. Our Gold and Platinum plans also give you cover for maternity care.
Our Optional Benefits
- International Outpatient – additional and more extensive outpatient cover that protects you for any treatments that don’t require a hospital stay. International Outpatient covers you more comprehensively for outpatient care and includes specialist consultations, prescribed outpatient drugs and dressings, physiotherapy, osteopathy, chiropractic and much more.
- International Medical Evacuation – peace of mind cover for transport and repatriation costs for you and a family member if you need treatment in another country. International Medical Evacuation provides coverage for reasonable transportation costs to the nearest centre of medical excellence in the event that the treatment is not available locally in an emergency. This option also includes repatriation coverage, allowing the beneficiary to return to their country of habitual residence or country of nationality to be treated in a familiar location.
- International Health and Wellbeing – allows you to manage your health in your own way with cover for screenings, tests, examinations and other wellbeing activities. Take control of your own health. The International Health & Wellbeing module helps you proactively manage your health before you fall ill. Screen against disease, test against common illnesses and get reassurance with routine physical exams. Also benefit from dietetic consultations, counselling support and our online health education programme.
- International Vision and Dental – complete cover for all your vision and dental costs. Look after eyes and teeth with International Vision & Dental cover. See the difference with vision care. This covers your eye tests, corrective lenses, eyeglass frames, prescription sunglasses and contact lenses. Maintain healthy teeth with a wide range of dental treatments. You are covered for preventative, routine, major and some orthodontic procedures.
We understand that international health insurance can be confusing.
See some of our frequently asked questions, for answers to common questions about our international health insurance policy.
If you need any further help or information please call our experienced advisors. If you are in the USA you can call 877.539.6295. Anywhere else in the world please dial +44 (0)1475 777527.
Alternatively we can call you back or you can send us an email with your query.
Claims and treatment information
To help you access the medical expertise you need quickly and easily, we’ve established a Treatment Approval Team. They’ll help you find the most appropriate hospital, doctor or clinic near you and will arrange, wherever possible, to pay them directly – so you can focus on getting better.
When you need treatment, call our Treatment Approval Team on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or toll-free from the US on 1 800 835 7677. Alternatively, call toll-free from wherever you are in the world using the Cigna Calling Card*. We will help you to find the most appropriate hospital, clinic or doctor near you, and arrange, wherever possible, to pay them directly (less any deductibles you may have chosen) – saving you the time and hassle of paying for it yourself and claiming back from us later.
Your hospital, clinic or doctor will usually send their invoice straight to us. However, sometimes they’ll invoice you after treatment. On these occasions, simply send your invoice and claim form to us and we’ll pay them directly, less any deductibles.
In an emergency
If for any reason it’s not possible to call us before treatment, such as an emergency, you may need to pay for your treatment up front, and claim your covered costs back from us, less any deductibles you may have chosen. Please advise us of any emergency treatment within 48 hours.
Claiming back your costs
If you’ve paid for your treatment yourself, you’ll need to claim back your covered costs, less any deductibles you may have chosen, from us. You’ll find claim forms in your welcome pack, or you can download them below.
You can email your invoice and claim form to us at Cignaglobal_customer.care@Cigna.com, fax them to +44 (0) 1475 492113 or post them to:
Customer Care Team,
Cigna Global Health Options,
1 Knowe Road
Help us to reimburse you quickly
Normally, we’ll reimburse you within five days of receiving your claim. To help us achieve this, please follow these simple tips:
- If you provide confirmation of your diagnosis or explanation of treatment you don’t need to send a claim form.
- Tell us how and where you want your refund issued.
- Send us your invoice and claim by fax or email scanned copies instead of posting them.
Paying your deductibles
If you chose to apply deductibles to your plan, you’ll need to pay this amount towards the treatment yourself. So, for example if you choose a deductible of £100, you’ll need to pay the first £100 of a covered claim or covered claims in any period of cover at the time of treatment. We’ll pay the remainder of the covered costs of your claim directly to your hospital, clinic or doctor. If a deductible is chosen, you would only have to pay this once during any period of cover irrespective of the number of claims.
This simple diagram illustrates how our claims and treatment process works. If you have any questions regarding any aspect of the process, call our Customer Care Team on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or toll-free from the US on 1 800 835 7677. Alternatively, call toll-free from wherever you are in the world using the Cigna Calling Card*.
Instructions for using the Cigna Calling Card
- Use the access guide to find the access code of the country you are calling from
- When prompted, dial Cigna’s calling card number: 808-672-7493-6554 (no PIN is required)
- When prompted, dial the toll-free number (0) 800 835 76771
Transferring to Cigna Global Health Options
It’s very easy to transfer to Cigna from another private medical insurance plan.
If you’re currently with an insurer with whom we can accept business from, we may be able to cover you without any medical underwriting or additional exclusions.
To find out more, simply call + 44 (0) 1475 492119
What we’ll need to know:
- Who currently provides your cover and the name of your medical insurance plan?
- How long have you been with your current insurer?
- Who is covered, any exclusions and premium loadings applied?
- When are you due to renew your policy?
Where you will find this information:
All of the above will be clearly stated on either your certificate of insurance or schedule of insurance
Speak to an adviser today on + 44 (0) 1475 492119
Rejoining Cigna health insurance
If you’re thinking of rejoining Cigna after some time away, we’d be delighted to welcome you back. Simply follow our quick and easy five step online quote process and you and your family can look forward to the peace of mind that comes with a tailored Cigna Global Health Options plan.
Can I go anywhere in the world for treatment?
Cigna Global Health Options offers two areas of cover – Worldwide including USA and Worldwide excluding USA. If you choose Worldwide including USA you can receive treatment anywhere in the world. If you choose Worldwide excluding USA, you can receive treatment anywhere except in the USA.
When you need treatment, call our Treatment Approval Team on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or toll-free from the US on 1 800 835 7677. Alternatively, call toll-free from wherever you are in the world using the Cigna Calling Card*.. We’ll help you find the most appropriate hospital, doctor or clinic for your condition near you – and arrange to pay them directly wherever possible.
If for any reason, such as an emergency, this isn’t possible, contact us as soon as you can after treatment so we can confirm that all following specialist treatment is covered by your plan. We will, of course, cover the cost of your GP or initial specialist consultation, along with any prescribed medication without prior approval having been obtained, providing the treatment is covered by your plan.
Log into the customer area and you can search our USA directory of hospitals, clinics and doctors. Simply type in your zip code, specify the distance you are willing to travel and it will list the medical experts within your area. Alternatively, if you are outside the USA, simply call our Customer Care Team on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or on our customer toll free tel: AT&T access code* + 1 800 835 7677. Where possible, we’ll arrange to pay the hospital, clinic or doctor you wish to see directly.
If you need to speak to us about your treatment plan, contact our Customer Care Team who can direct your call to a Cigna healthcare professional:
- Email: Cignaglobal_customer.care@Cigna.com
- Telephone: on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or toll-free from the US on 1 800 835 7677. Alternatively, call toll-free from wherever you are in the world using the Cigna Calling Card*
- Fax: +44 (0) 1475 492113
Where possible we will arrange to pay your hospital, clinic or doctor directly. However, if you have chosen a deductible, you must pay this amount yourself.
You must call us before getting treatment. We can help you find the most appropriate hospital, clinic or doctor near you and arrange to pay them directly – saving you the cost and hassle of paying for it yourself and claiming back from us later.
We will, of course, cover the cost of your GP or initial specialist consultation, along with any prescribed medication without prior approval having been obtained, providing the treatment is covered by your plan.
In most cases, your hospital, clinic or doctor will invoice us directly. However, sometimes they may give you the invoice after treatment. If this happens, simply send the invoice with a claim form to us and we’ll pay them.
If you’ve chosen to apply any deductibles to your plan, you’ll need to pay this amount to your hospital, clinic or doctor yourself.
If for any reason, such as an emergency, you can’t call us before getting treatment, you’ll need to pay for your treatment yourself and send your invoice and claim form to us. We’ll reimburse you, less any deductibles, usually within five days of receipt.
You’ll find full details on how to get treatment, how to make a claim and copies of claims forms in your welcome pack. You can also download more claims forms here.
If you’ve paid for your treatment yourself, simply complete a claim form and post, email or fax it to us with your invoice. If you email or fax it to us, make sure you keep the original in case we need to see it later.
We aim to reimburse you within five working days of receiving your fully completed paperwork, and can pay you in the currency of your choice (you can choose to be reimbursed in more than 135 currencies).
When you create your tailored plan, you have the option of adding deductibles. If, for example, you choose a deductible of £250, you’ll need to pay the first £250 of a covered claim or covered claims in any period of cover directly to your hospital, clinic or doctor at the time of treatment. So if your treatment costs are £500, you’ll need to pay £250, and we’ll pay the remaining £250 of covered costs. If a deductible is chosen, you would only have to pay this once during any period of cover irrespective of the number of claims.
Cost share is the percentage of every claim you will pay. Out of pocket maximum is the maximum amount you would have to pay in cost share per policy year.
An Example :
- You have a claim value of $20,000
- You have a $500 deductible on your policy
- You have a 20% cost share with a $2,000 out of pocket maximum
We would pay $17,500
How this is calculated
After you paid your deductible of $500, your cost share is 20% of $19,500 ($3,900). This is more than your out of pocket maximum, so you would only pay $2,000 out of pocket maximum for the cost share (and the $500 deductible you paid at the outset) and we cover the remaining $17,500.
If you’ve sought advice or experienced symptoms before the start date of your plan – whether you have been diagnosed or not – we may decide to add special exclusions to your plan. So it’s important that you complete the medical questionnaire as accurately as possible when applying.
Our International Medical Insurance provides cover for core benefits, such as emergency dental cover in the event of an accident that requires you to have treatment in a hospital. If you want more cover, choose our International Vision and Dental option and enjoy access to a wide variety of preventative, routine, major and orthodontic treatments.
Yes you are. Inpatient treatment is included as standard within our core International Medical Insurance. It covers you for treatment received as an inpatient when staying overnight in hospital, or when receiving treatment at hospital as a day case.
International Medical Insurance covers you for selected outpatient costs such as treatment room fees, surgeon and anaesthetic costs, advanced imaging, cancer and psychiatric care. If you want more comprehensive outpatient cover, add International Medical Insurance Plus to your plan.
No, it doesn’t. Your membership card is purely a means of identifying you and has no payment capabilities. When you need treatment, call our Treatment Approval Team on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or toll-free from the US on 1 800 835 7677. Alternatively, call toll-free from wherever you are in the world using the Cigna Calling Card*.
We’ll arrange to pay your hospital, clinic or doctor directly wherever possible.
The customer area is secure and gives you access to:
- All your personal policy documents including your welcome letter, certificate of insurance, customer guide and policy rules
- Our full USA list of approved network hospitals, clinics and doctors
- Country guides containing medical, travel, safety and cultural information
- Claim forms to download
Once you’ve registered an account with us online, we will issue you with a user ID and password. You can then choose to change this password to one that is memorable to you personally.
If you have any questions regarding your payment, our Customer Care Team will be happy to help. You can reach them by:
- Email: Cignaglobal_customer.care@Cigna.com
- Telephone: on +44 (0) 1475 788182 or on our customer toll free tel: AT&T access code* + 1 800 835 7677
- Fax: +44 (0) 1475 492113
*You will need an access code depending on what country you’re calling from. Please refer to the AT&T leaflet in your welcome pack for full details.