Signing up for Medicare should be easy. The entire process should take between 15 and 30 minutes. Below are some helpful shortcuts and tips.
When to start
Medicare will start the first day of your birth month when you are turning 65. You can begin the enrollment process 3 months before your birthday.
Step 1: Create your account
- Visit https://secure.login.gov/sign_up/enter_email.
- Enter an email address that you have access to. and click “submit”
- Check your email for an email from Login.Gov, open and click on “Confirm your email address”
- You will be taken back to Login.gov to create your password.
- You may be asked to provide information to verify your identity. Your state issued ID can be uploaded if required.
Step 2: Social Security Administration
Step 3: Apply for Medicare Benefits
- Gather your documents: Current Health Insurance coverage, Medicaid. You may also need a check book for your Part B premium – if you do not receive Social Security payments.
- Visit https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib
- Click the button “Start A new Application” under “Apply & Complete”.
- It is recommended that you complete the application in one sitting and will take 10-30 minutes.
Step 4: Kick back and relax
- Medicare will review your application and mail your “Welcome to Medicare” package to you in 2-3 weeks.
- Medicare will call you if they need additional information. Please be safe and always hang up and call medicare back at 1-800-Medicare.
Step 5: Enroll in a plan that covers the gaps in Medicare
- Call Me to enroll in a MAPD or Supplement plan at 678-404-9230.
- Enrollment takes a few minutes. We will review your current doctors and prescription to ensure you have the best possible coverage.